Skip to content

Visa - frequently asked questions

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

How long does it take to get a visa?

According to the EU Visa Code, the maximum case processing time cannot exceed 15 calendar days, or in exceptional cases 30 or 60 days, respectively.
The Embassy and Consulates aim to issue a visa within five to eleven working days provided that we have full and satisfactory information about the applicant. You will be contacted if it will take noticeably longer. Please note: There is no need for you or your Danish reference to contact the Embassy or Consular office within the first five working days.

When should I hand in my visa application?

Planning ahead and handing in the application as soon as possible is always a good idea since unforeseen problems, such as incomplete documentation, may arise and prolong the case processing time. However, a visa application cannot be accepted if handed in more than 3 months before the intended departure.

How long can I remain in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

A visa normally grants you the right to stay in the entire Schengen region for a maximum of 90 days within a 6-month period. This periods begin when you first enter the Schengen area.

Do I need to submit the original invitation letter?

Yes. The reference - in business cases - must also e-mail a PDF copy directly to the Embassy or Consulate. All letters must be signed and stamped.

Please note that it is also possible to make an online invitation, and in this case it is not necessary to send a copy directly to the embassy. However, you need to send us a physical copy of the invitation code (print screen) which you will receive after applying online. Information about online invitation letters here.

Can I apply for a visa with a validity longer than six months?

If you wish to apply for longer validity, you need to write 90 days in field “25”, the first date of expected entry should be filled in, in field “29” and then in field “30” you write the date ie. 1 year in the future. For instance, if you write 1 July 2013 in field 29, then 30 june 2014 in field 30.

Whether a visa for longer term can be issued depends on an assessment of the application.

Do I need to pay a fee to arrange an appointment or to obtain visa application forms?

No. It is not necessary to pre-arrange an appointment and please note that no such fees will be requested. The hand-out of application forms and information material as well as the arrangement of an appointment is free of charge.

Do I need a signature on the dispatch letter and invitation letter?

Yes. All letters from Chinese and Danish companies must be signed.

Do I need to apply for a visa in person?

Applicant’s fingerprints and Photo

From the 12 October 2015, applicants need to appear in person for the collection of the biometric data: ten fingerprints and a photograph are collected from persons applying for a visa.    
Before the recording of the photo applicants may be asked to remove glasses or adjust head coverings if they hide facial features.

Certain categories of applicants are exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints, including:    

  • Children under the age of 12
  • Persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible    
  • Heads of State and members of national governments, and members of their official delegations when invited for an official purpose.

The introduction of biometric data is part of the Schengen Visa Information System (VIS). For more information about VIS, fingerprints, data protection and legal background, please see Visa Information System (VIS) factsheet here.   

After having applied once in person after 12 October the biometric data will be stored for 5 years. For persons applying after having their biometrics taken either at a Danish representation or another Schengen representation and who are known to the consulate for their integrity and reliability, the requirement of lodging the application in person may be waived, so they can apply via messenger (company, travel agent or family member). Applications submitted by letter will be returned to sender.   

Requests for dispensations must be directed by e-mail to the Visa Department in the city, where you wish to apply. For cases which will be handed in at the Visa Centre in Chongqing, the request for dispensation must be sent to the Embassy in Beijing. The Visa Centre cannot make such dispensations.   




The e-mail must contain the full name of the applicant, who needs dispensation. This applicant must be able to prove, that he or she has been to Schengen before and had their biometrics taken and followed the length of stay of the previous visa.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes. Proof of health insurance is to be submitted along with your visa application. The following three items must be covered by the insurance:

  1. repatriation for medical reasons;
  2. urgent medical attention;
  3. emergency hospital treatment.

It is preferable that the minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 is not divided up into these items. However, if this is the case, the minimum sum insured for each item should as a main rule be EUR 10,000. Importantly, the insurance must cover the effective period that you stay in Denmark/Schengen.

Who are exempt from paying the visa fee?

According to the rules for fees charged by the Danish mission abroad, certain groups are exempt from paying the visa fee upon application. For more information please see here (in Danish only).

The most usual types of exemptions are:

  • spouses or children to citizens of the EU(unless special circumstances are in plase, Danes are not covered)
  • students whose studies in the homeland and in Denmark are closely connected and interlinked (this must be proven)

If you belong to one of the groups, please write an email to the Danish mission in the city, where you will hand in your application, and you must do so before applying. The Embassy in Beijing also covers Chongqing.




Upon the documentation you have provided the representation will assess, whether you are covered by the exemptions.

My application was sent to the Danish Immigration Service. Why?

There may by various reasons for this. Each application is evaluated individually and based on the applicant’s profile, including purpose of visit and intention to return.

The Danish representations will decide to grant a visa “bona fide”, or send the application to the Danish Immigration Service for further investigation (e.g. verification of Danish reference, family/friend relations, previous stays/overstays in the Schengen area, risk of illegal immigration and more).

I received my visa, but how do I read the sticker?

It is crucial that you check the information on the sticker before travelling as the Danish representation cannot be held liable if a mistake has occurred when printing the visa sticker. How to read your sticker here.

There is a difference between the number of days in my sticker and the total period of stay (from..until). How long can I stay in Schengen?

You are allowed to stay in Schengen for the number of days in the field 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'. The period 'FROM - UNTIL' is longer to allow flexibility regarding entry and exit within the mentioned period in case of emergency. So the total stay must never exceed the number of days in 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'.

I am a family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. What rules apply for me?

Family members of an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen who is exercising his/her right to free movement in Denmark have the right to have their visa application processed in accordance with EU regulations.

What is a legalization?

A legalization is a confirmation that the signature on a document is genuine. In China a document must be notarized, then legalized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then legalized by the Royal Danish Embassy or Consulate in order to be fully legalized.

Normally a notary public office can offer to handle the entire legalization procedure. Alternatively, you may contact the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs' legalization office: +86(010)65889906 and +86 (010) 65889763.

What is a verification?

A verification is typically used as proof that a photocopy is a true copy of the original document. Verification does not have anything to do with the contents of a document, and merely confirms that it is a true copy.

Am I allowed to work in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

No. A visa does not allow you to take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession in the Schengen region. However, during visits of less than 3 months you may carry out certain work-related activities without holding a work permit. More information is available on the website of the Danish Immigration Service about visas and work permits.

I already hold a valid Schengen visa (have not used up all the days on the visa), but wish to apply for a complement new visa. What do I do?

You must submit a normal application for a new visa at the embassy of the issuing country.     
Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind